Box Grove Community Centre Building History
The original brick building was a one room school house built in 1877. It was a typical design of the time including a belfry and a double door entrance facing 9th Line. The foundation is fieldstone and the original building has a dirt floor crawlspace as a basement. There have been two additions built over the years namely three rooms and a full basement on the back and a kitchen, washrooms and entrance hall on the side.
The building remained as a school for over 80 years until in the early 1960s it was vacated with children being bused to a larger multi-room building. School buildings were used as a focal point for community gatherings over the years so it was a natural transformation for Markham to take over the building and it became the local community centre.